Unit Seven
第七单元
Oliver Barrett IV, a Harvard student from a wealthy WASP family, fell in love with Jennifer,
奥利弗?巴雷特,出生于一个WASP的富裕家庭的哈佛大学学生,爱上了詹尼弗。
a Radcliff music major, daughter of a pastry chef of Italian descent.
一个Radcliff音乐的主修人,有着意大利血统的面粉糕点主厨的女儿。
Jennifer returned his love.
詹尼弗接受了他的爱。
The two of them started talking about marriage, thinking they were made for each other.
他们两个开始去讨论结婚,并认为彼此是为对方而活的。
A banker and a squeamish parent, Oliver Barrett III refused to give his blessing to the proposed alliance.
一个银行家和一个神经质的双亲,奥利弗?巴雷特三世拒绝给他们提议的婚约给予祝福。
Oliver and Jennifer thereupon went ahead on their own, contented with their "love in a cottage".
奥利弗和詹尼弗仍然按照他们的意愿办,并满足于他们的"村舍里的爱情”。
We join the novel in Chapter 13, three years after Oliver married Jennifer regardless of his father's fierce opposition.
我们进入小说的13章,三年以后,奥利弗娶了詹尼弗,他无视他父亲的强烈反对。
One day, they received an invitation from Oliver's parents to the old man's sixtieth birthday party.
一天,他们收到一个来自奥利弗父母亲的邀请,去参加那个老年人的60岁生日晚会。
Jennifer perferred accepting the invitation, regarding it as a good opportunity for a reconciliation between father and son.
詹尼弗同意接受那个邀请,她认为那是父子重好的一个好机会。
But Oliver wouldn't give it a thought.
但是奥利弗不这样认为。
Thus the two of them had a violent quarrel...
这样他们两个人有一次强烈的争吵。
LOVE STORY
爱情故事
by Erich Segal
埃里奇?西格尔
CHAPTER 13
第十三章
Mr.and Mrs. Oliver Barrett III request the pleasure of your company at a dinner in celebration of
奥利佛?巴雷特第三夫妇谨启盼予赐复
Mr. Barrett's sixtieth birthday Saturday, the sixth of March at seven o'clock Dover House, Ipswich, Massachusetts
谨订于三月六日星期六下午七时在马萨诸塞州易普威治多佛府举行家宴为巴雷特先生庆祝六十寿辰。
R.S.V.P
R.S.V.P
"Well?" asked Jennifer.
“这个?”詹妮弗问道。
"Do you even have to ask?" I replied.
“这还用问吗?”我答道。
I was in the midst of abstracting The State v. Percival, a very important precedent in criminal law.
我正在摘录珀西瓦尔公诉案,一个刑法里非常重要的判例。
Jenny was sort of waving the invitation to bug me.
詹妮稍稍晃动请柬来烦我。
"I think it's about time, Oliver," she said.
“我想差不多该是时候了,奥利佛,”她说。
"For what?"
“该干什么的时候了?”
"For you know very well what," she answered.
“你知道得很清楚要干什么事,”她答道。
"Does he have to crawl here on his hands and knees?"
“一定得要他跪着爬到这里不可吗?”
I kept working as she worked me over.
任她责备我什么,我照干我的事。
"Ollie--he's reaching out to you!"
“奥利??他在向你伸手联系呢!”
"Bullshit, Jenny. My mother addressed the envelope."
“瞎说,詹妮。我母亲写的信封。”
"I thought you said you didn't look at it!" she sort of yelled.
“我记得你说过你不看来着!”她叫起来,声音有点大。
Okay, so I did glance at it earlier.
行啦,就算早些时候我扫过一眼,
Maybe it had slipped my mind.
或许我已经忘掉了。
I was, after all, in the midst of abstracting The State v. Percival, and in the virtual shadow of exams.
毕竟我正在摘录珀西瓦尔公诉案,而且实际上考试已临近。
The point was she should have stopped haranguing me."
关键是她该停止对我抱怨了。
"Ollie, think," she said, her tone kind of pleading now.
“奥利,想想看,”她现在用有点恳求的口气说着。
"Sixty goddamn years old.
“整六十岁的人了。
Nothing says he'll still be around when you're finally ready for the reconciliation."
当你最后愿意与他和解时,谁也没法说得准他是否仍活在这个世界上。”
I informed Jenny in the simplest possible terms that there would never be a reconciliation and would she please let me continue my studying.
我用最直截了当的话告诉詹妮,将不存在和解。并请她让我继续学习下去。
She sat down quietly, squeezing herself onto a corner of the sofa where I had my feet.
她在我放脚的沙发一角紧缩着身体坐了下来,不再出声。
Although she didn't make a sound.
尽管她没说话,
I quickly became aware that she was looking at me very hard.
很快我便意识到她正紧盯着我。
I glanced up.
我抬头看着她。
"someday," she said, "when you're being bugged by Oliver V--"
“有那么一天,”她说,“当奥利佛第五烦你时……”
"He won't be called Oliver, be sure of that!" I snapped at her.
“他决不会叫奥利佛这个名字,这是肯定的!”我对她恶狠狠地说。
she didn't raise her voice, though she usually did when I did.
她没有抬高嗓门。尽管通常我大声时,她的声音就更大。
"Listen, Ol, even if we name him Bozo the Clown that kid's still going to resent you because you were a big Harvard athlete.
“听着,奥利。即使我们把儿子叫成小丑‘博佐’,他仍因你曾是哈佛的体育明星而恨你。
And by the time he's a freshman, you'll probable be in the Supreme Court!"
而且,当他读大学一年级时,你将可能是高等法院的法官了。”
I told her that our son would definitely not resent me.
我告诉她,我们的儿子肯定不会恨我。
She then inquired how I could be so certain of that.
而她问我为什么那么肯定。
I couldn't produce evidence.
我却拿不出证据来。
I mean, I simply knew our son would not resent me, I couldn't say precisely why.
我的意思是,我凭直觉知道我们的儿子不会恨我。我不能准确地说出为什么。
Jenny then remarked:
于是,詹妮说:
"Your father loves you too, Oliver.
“你的父亲也爱你,奥利佛。
He loves you just the way you'll love Bozo.
他爱你的方式就象你将来爱‘博佐’那样。
But you Barretts are so damn proud and competitive, you'll go through life thinking you hate each other."
但是你们巴雷特家族的人极其自大,喜欢竞争。你们一生中总以为你们相互恨着。”
"If it weren't for you," I said jokingly.
“要不是你的话,还真要那样呢!”我以开玩笑的口气说道。
"Yes," she said.
“是的”。她说。
"The case is closed," I said, being, after all, the husband and head of household.
“到此为止。”我以毕竟是丈夫兼一家之主的口气说道。
My eyes returned to The State v. Percival and Jenny got up.
我的眼睛又回到珀西瓦尔公诉案上而詹妮站了起来。
But then she remembered.
但她却仍记得:
"There's still the matter of the RSVP."
“还有‘盼予赐复’这事呢。”
I said that a Radcliffe music major could probably compose a nice little negaive RSVP without professional guidance.
我说,一个莱德克利夫音乐专业的学生不要专业指导大概也可以写出恰当的婉拒短信的。
"Listen, Oliver," she said,
“听着,奥利佛,”她说道,
"I've probably lied or cheated in my life.
“我一生中大概撒过谎,骗过人。
But I've never deliberately hurt anyone.
但我决不会有意去伤害别人。
I don't think I could."
我想我不会那样。”
Really, at that moment she was only hurting me, so I asked her politely to handle the RSVP in whatever manner she wished,
实际上,此时她却正在伤害我。于是我客气地要她以她想要的任何方式去处理“盼予赐复”这件事,
as long as the essence of the message was that we wouldn't show unless hell froze over.
只要信的本意是我们不出席宴会,除非地狱冰冻起来。
I returned once again to The State v. Percival.
我便再次回到帕西瓦尔公诉案上。
"What's the number?" I heard her say very softly.
“电话号码是多少?”我听到她轻声地说。
She was at the telephone.
她已在电话机旁。
"Can't you just write a note?"
“你就不能只写封短信吗?”
"In a minute I'll lose my nerve.
“我马上就会失去勇气的。
What's the number?"
号码是多少?”
I told her and was instantly immersed in Percival's appeal to the Supreme Court.
我告诉了她号码就立刻沉浸于帕西瓦尔呈交高等法院的上诉书。
I was not listening to Jenny.
我不去听詹妮打电话,
That is, I tried not to.
也就是说,我尽可能不去听。
She was in the same room, after all.
但毕竟我们在同一间房里。
"Oh--good evening, sir," I heard her say.
“啊!晚上好,先生。”我听她说。
She had her hand over the mouthpiece.
她用一只手捂住话筒。
"Ollie, does it have to be negative?"
“奥利佛,一定要拒绝吗?”
The nod of my head indicated that it had to be, the wave of my hand indicated that she should hurry up.
我点头表示一定要那样做,并摆摆手示意她必须快一点。
"I'm terribly sorry," she said into the phone.
“我非常抱歉,”她对着话筒说。
"I mean, we're terribly sorry, sir."
“我的意思是,我们非常抱歉,先生……”
We're! Did she have to involve me in this?
我们!她干嘛一定要牵涉到我?
And why can't she get to the point and hang up?
她为啥不直说了就把电话挂断呢?
"Oliver!"
“奥利佛!”
She had her hand on the mouthpiece again and was talking very loud.
她又用一只手捂住话筒并大声同我说话。
"He's wounded, Oliver!
“他是伤心的,奥利佛!
Can you just sit there and let your father bleed?"
让你父亲心中流血而你能坐得住吗?”
Had she not been in such an emotional state.
假如她不是处于这样的感情状态,
I could have explained once again that stones do not bleed.
我会再次解释:石头是不流血的。
But she was very upset.
但她的心绪非常烦乱,
And it was upsetting me too.
这使我的心绪也烦乱起来。
"Oliver," she pleaded, "could you just say a word?"
“奥利佛,”她恳求道,“你就说一句话吧?”
To him? She must be going out of her mind!
跟他说?她一定是疯了!
"I mean, like just maybe 'hello'?"
“我的意思是就说象‘哈罗’之类的?”
She was offering the phone to me.
她要把电话递给我,
And trying not to cry.
并尽量不哭出来。
"I will never talk to him. Ever," I said with perfect calm.
“我决不与他说什么,不说。”我非常平静地说。
And now she was crying.
此时,她无声地哭起来了。
Nothing audible, but tears pouring down her face.
泪流满面。
And then she--she begged.
然后??她乞求着。
"For me, Oliver. I've never asked you for anything. Please."
“为了我,奥利佛。我从不求你做什么事。就求你这回了。”
Three of us.
我们三个。
Three of us just standing (I somehow imagined my father being there as well) waiting for something.
(我莫明其妙地想象我父亲也在场。)我们三个就站着等待什么似的。
What? For me?
什么呢?等我吗?
I couldn't do it.
我不会干的。
Didn't Jenny understand she was asking the impossible?
詹妮真不明白她在要求不可能的事吗?
That I would have done absolutely anything else?
除了此事外我绝对会做任何其他事的。
As I looked at the floor, shaking my head in adamant refusal and extreme discomfort, Jenny addressed me with a kind of whispered fury I had never heard from her:
当我看着地板,极不自在但又毫不动摇地晃着头表示拒绝时,詹妮满腔怒火,以我从来没有听她说过的话低声责骂我:
"You are a heartless bastard," she said.
“你是个无情的杂种,”她说。
And then she ended the telephone conversation with my father saying:
接着她以下面的话来结束与我父亲的电话交谈:
"Mr. Barrett, Oliver does want you to know that in this own special way..."
“巴雷特先生,奥利佛确实想要你知道,用自己特别的方式……”
She paused for breath.
她顿了一下,吸了一口气。
She had been sobbing, so it wasn't easy.
她一直在抽泣,所以说得很费力。
I was much too astonished to do anything but await the end of my alleged "message."
我惊讶得不知所措,只好等她结束好象我要她说的“口信”。
"Oliver loves you very much," she said, and hung up very quickly.
“奥利佛非常爱你,”她说完就很快挂断了电话。
There is no rational explanation for my actions in the next split second.
在紧接着一刹那,我无法对自己的行为作出合情合理的解释。
I must never be forgiven for what I did.
我所做的事使我决不会得到宽恕。
I ripped the phone from her hand, then from the socket--
我从她手里抢过电话,拔出插头,
and hurled it across the room.
把电话机猛地
 

相关内容

大学英语精读_双语5 (8)

   Unit Eight 第八单元 A victim of an incurable disease,Stephen Hawking is almost completely paralysed, 一个无法治愈的疾病的受害者,Stephen Hawking 几乎完全的瘫痪了。 confined to a wheelchair,and unable to speak. 被限制在一个轮椅里,不能去说话。 Yet,he has overcome every obstacle and achieved f ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 The author is not a preacher, and yet he does deliver a kind of sermon here. 作者并不是一个传教士,然而他在这里却发表了一种友好的说教。 Who is his audience? 他的观众是谁? Interestingly, his audience is your teachers of Advanced English as a foreign language. 有趣地是,他的观众是你 ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单元 Beginning with the earliset pioneers, 从最早的先驱者开始, Americans have always highly valued their freedoms, and fought hard to protect them. 美国人已经有了很贵重的自由,他们为了保护它们努力地战斗。 And yet, the author points out that there is a basic freedom which Ameri ...

大学英语精读_双语4 (1)

   Unit One 第一单元 Text 课 Two college-age boys, 两个上大学的男孩, unaware that making money usually involves hard work, 没有意识到攒钱通常包括辛勤的工作, are tempted by an advertisement that promises them an easy way to earn a lot of money. 被一个承诺通过一个简单的方法可以攒很多钱的广告诱惑了。 The boys ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (6)

   Unit Six 第六单元 This essay on a famous man, 这个关于名人的短文, whose name is not revealed until almost the end of the piece, 他的名子直到文章的结尾才被提到。 is a study of monstrous conceit. 是一个关于自负的怪才的研究。 Filled with biographical details that keep the reader guessing to the ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (4)

   Unit Four 第四单元 As a black boy growing up in America in the early 1900s. 作为一个生在20世纪初的美国人 Richard Wright knew well the meaning of racial prejudice. 理查德.赖特很了解人类的偏见。 He was not allowed to play in a park or borrow books from a library. 他被拒绝在公园里玩和从图书馆借书。 ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (2)

   Unit Two 第二单 There is something fascinating about reading other people's mail if you are allowed to. 被允许读取别人的邮件是一件很吸引人的事情。 Here is your chance to read the letters of American writer Sylvia Plath, 这儿有一个机会来读一封美国作家西尔维亚.普莱思的信 which she wrote home to her ...

大学英语精读_双语5 (6)

   Unit Six 第六单元 Charles is a lonely young man and Amy is a cripples girl on a wheelchair. 查里是一个孤单的年轻人,艾米是一个坐在轮椅上的跛子女孩。 They meet, get to know each other and begin going out together. 他们遇见了,相互认识并开始一起出去。 Charles falls in love with Amy and hopes to be&qu ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (5)

   Unit Five 第五课 If modern life is so wonderful, why do we feel so unhappy? 如果现代的生活是如此的精彩,为什么我们还不快乐呢? In the following article, the author suggests that though living standards have improved, 在下面的文章里,作者提出虽然生活水品提高了, we, rather than feeling content, neve ...

大学英语精读_双语6 (8)

   Unit Eight 第八课 Science fiction is definitely not pure science, 科幻小说被定义为非纯科学。 but neither is it pure fiction. 但也不是纯小说 This literary genre, argues science fiction writer Ben Bova, 这种文学流派,争论幻小说作家本.博瓦 stands and a bridge between science and fiction, 在科学 ...

热门内容

英语演讲稿

   Good afternoon,ladies and gantelmen Today I would like to begin with a story. There was once a physical therapist who traveled all the way from America to Africa to do a census about mountain gorillas. These gorillas are a main attraction to touris ...

小学英语教学设计

   小学英语教学设计 小学英语教学设计 Book 5 Module 3 At the weekend. Unit 1 We visited lots of places. 宁夏青铜峡市陈袁滩中心小学 何峡 一、教材分析 我执教的内容是新标准英语第五册 Module 3 Unit 1。这是一节情 景对话课,围绕“What did you do at the weekend? Where did you go?”展 开。这是一节新授课,要求学生能听懂会说 the British Museum, th ...

北京大学考博英语辅导材料听力部分

   专业 % 权威 % 轻松 % 快乐 www.huahuiedu.com 北京大学考博英语辅导材料 听力部分 Listening One Section A Statement In this section you will hear nine statements. At the end of the statement you will be given 10 seconds to answer each of the following nine questions. Now list ...

推荐几款英语学习软件的比较

   强力推荐:几款英语学习软件的比较 对一名想学好外语的学习者来说,词汇记忆的重要性是不可忽视的。可以说,词 汇量的大小是衡量一个外语学习者水平高低的最重要标志。在学英语的过程中, 是否觉得学英语的最大障碍莫过于背单词的枯燥,乏味且速度缓慢;是否你背过 许多单词后,但拿起一篇英语文章,通篇一览,面对似曾相识的单词,却一脸茫 然,有种无所适从的感觉?如果能选一个好的英语背单词软件,对英语学习会很 有帮助,然而现在市场上类似的软件可谓琳琅满目,应该选择那一款呢,确实是 件令人头疼的事情,尤其是对于英 ...

隐性分层教学在初中英语教学中的尝试

   隐性分层教学在初中英语教学中的尝试 来源:中 国 论 文 下 载 中 心 [ 08-01-23 15:25:00 ] 作者:孙东龙 编辑:studa20 [摘要]:初中英语教学中容易出现学生学习状况的两极分化现象。 我们应根据学生的差 异性进行分层教学,因材施教。为了保护部分学生的自尊心和自信心,调动他们的学习积极 性,我可以采用隐性分层教学的方法,也就是在同一班级中进行教学目标、教学内容、教学 活动和教学任务的分层,使不同层次的学生在合作学习中体验成功,发挥潜能,获得最大限 度的发展。 [ ...