第二部 第五节
第二篇 辛劳的回报
被动语态的妙用
Hard work pays off
(
  1) 2000 was a great year for Donna.

  1)2000年对于唐娜 来说真是太幸运了。
In January she was hired by the Stone-Cliz International
她一月份被Stone-Cliz
English Promotion Company as a personal assistant.
国际英语推广公司聘为 私人助理;
In March she was sent to school by the company to
三月份,公司派她去学 习信息管理;
study information management. In April she was given a raise.
四月,获得了一次加薪 ;就在一个月以后,她 又被提升
Just one month later, she was promoted to
为所在部门的主管。
the position of supervisor of her department.

  2)七月份,她被评 选为"本月最佳员工";

  2) In July she was chosen "Employee of the Month."
九月,她再一次得到了 加薪;
In September she was given another raise.
十月,她获得申请公司
In October she was invited to apply for a position
驻纽约海外办事处的职 位的机会;
in the company's overseas office in New York.
十二月,唐娜获得那份 新工作,
And in December she was given the new job
并动身飞往关国
and flown to America to begin to work.
走上了她新的工作岗位 。
(
  3) Donna certainly has had a very incredible year.
(
  3)这对唐娜来说当然 是不可思议的一年,
She can't believe all the amazing things
她简直不敢相信自己
that have happened to her since she was hired just one year ago.
被聘用一年以来,遇上 了那么多幸运的事情。
(
  4) You see, hard work and devotion paid off for Donna.
(
  4)你瞧,全身心投入 工作换来了唐娜的成就 。
She knows the golden rule , "you must give to receive. "
她深深知道为人的黄金 准则,那就是"有付出 才有收获。"
She gave one hundred percent effort to her job
她付出了百分之百的努 力,
and reached unbelievable success!
也取得了令人难以置信 的成功!
第六节 三最短文
江泽民主席接受新闻周 刊采访
What impressed you during your U.S. visit?
此次美国之行有什么令 您印象深刻?
What impressed me most was that wherever I went,
令我印象最深的是,无 论走到哪里
I was received in a very friendly manner
我都得到了美国人民
by the American people.
非常友好的接待,
And I was given a very warm reception by the U.S.
美国政府和各种非政府 组织也给予了我
government and the various non-governmental organizations.
极其热情的款待、
And I was able to have very sincere
同时还有机会和包括政 府官员在内的
and candid conversations with people from
各界人士/各领域人士
various walks of life including government officials.
进行一些既真诚又坦率 的谈话。所有这些观点 的交流已经
And these exchanges of views have proven very helpful
证实了是非常有助于促 进两国之间的相互了解 的/事实证明,这些观 点的
in promoting mutual understanding between the two sides.
交流对促进两国之间的 相互了解起了很大的作 用。
What impressed me most was that wherever I went,
令我印象最深的是,无 论走到哪里
I was received in a very friendly manner
我都得到了美国人民
by the American people.
非常友好的接待,
And I was given a very warm reception by the U.S.
美国政府和各种非政府 组织也给予了我
government and the various non-governmental organizations.
极其热情的款待、
And I was able to have very sincere
同时还有机会和包括政 府官员在内的
and candid conversations with people from
各界人士/各领域人士
various walks of life including government officials.
进行一些既真诚又坦率 的谈话。所有这些观点 的交流已经
And these exchanges of views have proven very helpful
证实了是非常有助于促 进两国之间的相互了解 的/事实证明,这些观 点的
in promoting mutual understanding between the two sides.
交流对促进两国之间的 相互了解起了很大的作 用。
第二部 第七节
生活实际问题 单相思 我该怎么办
Unrequited love
单恋
Dear Ms. Know-it-all,
亲爱的万事通小姐,
In 1997, when I was finishing college,
在我1997与大学毕业之 际,
I met a beautiful girl and we became good friends.
我遇上了一位漂亮的女 孩并成为了好朋友。
After graduation we kept in touch through letters.
毕业后,我们一直保持 着书信来往。
Gradually I found I was in love with her.
渐渐地,我发觉我爱上 了她。
(
  2) As a result, I refused the advances of another woman
(
  2) 结果,我拒绝了办公室 一位女孩的求爱,
I knew in my office, and at that point,
与此同时,
I realized I should make my feelings known to the woman I loved.
我意识到应该让我所爱 的人知道我的感情。
(
  3) I wrote a letter to her expressing my love.
(
  3)于是,我写了一封 信向她表达我的爱意。
She responded right away.
她很快就给我回信了:
To my great disappointment, she refused my love,
让我失望至极的是,她 拒绝了我。
saying she had always thought of me as her big brother
她说,她一直都把我当 成是大哥哥,
and that she just enjoyed exchanging ideas
只是喜欢
and thoughts with me.
与我交流思想而已。
I am in so much pain now and don't know what to do.
我现在伤心极了,不知 该如何是好,
Should I continue to keep in touch with her
我应该继续与她联系呢 ,
or forget her and disappear from her life?
还是忘记她、从她的生 活中消失?
I hope I can get some advice from big sister Ms. Know-it-all.
我希望万事通姐姐能给 我一些建议?
Dear Li Yang
亲爱的李阳,
(
  1) On a pain scale of one to ten, unrequited love,
(
  1)在大大小小的痛楚 中,单相思
or love that is given but not returned,
或没有回报的爱所带来 的痛楚
can be right up there just above an operation
和手术或看牙医后的痛 相比,
or a visit to the dentist. It is much worse than both.
前两者更甚于后两者。
Medical procedures tend to heal quickly.
医疗手段可以很快治愈 肉体的创伤,
But broken hearts can take years to hears to heal
而破碎的心却需要多年 才能复原,
and sometimes never do.
有时甚至终生也难以愈 治。
(
  2) Most of us have our first run in / encounter / experience
(
  2)大多数人在十八九 岁
with unrequited love in our late teens, during high school.
都有过单相思的经历。
We watch from afar as our truly beloved
时远远地看着
wanders the halls of the school.
自己所爱的人在学校大 礼堂漫步,
We make every effort to spend as much time
想方设法地尽
with that person as possible.
可能与心仪的人呆在一 起;
We also make every effort to be sure that
我们也会力图把爱埋在 心底,
person does not know how in love we really are.
不让对方知道我们是多 么的爱她。
But that is no way to go through life.
然而,我们总不能就这 样度过一生。
(
  3)So then comes he inevitable/unavoida ble day
(
  3)因此,当看了无数 次"铁达尼号"
when we have watched "Titanic" too
和听了无数遍席林?迪 翁的歌以后,
many times or listened to too much Celine Dion
在那个迟早都会来临的 日子里,
and we get up our courage and go to them in a dramatic flurry
我们终于鼓起勇气忐忑 不安地走向她们,
and confess our true feelings.
坦白我们内心最真实的 情感。
(
  4)A couple of hours later it is all over with
(
  4)几小时之后,一切 都已结束。
and all we want to do is turn back time
我们惟一所希望的就是 让时光倒流,
and go back to admiring them from afar.
回到远地赞赏她们的那 个时候;
We want to go back to the sweet taste of our fantasies thinking
回到我们甜美的梦境中 ,
how wonderful it will be when we can be together.
想着能与她在一起有多 么的美妙。
We want to go back there because rejection leaves a bad taste
我们想回到从前,
in our mouths that we can never quite get rid of.
只因她们的拒绝在我们 心中留下的阴影挥之不 去。
(
  5)My advice to you is to,let her go.
(
  5)我的建议是由她去 ?
You can't force her to fall in love with you.
你不能强迫她爱你,
The only thing worse is begging her to love you.
更不要去乞求她爱你。
(
  6)It is difficult for me to even advise you
(
  6)我甚至难以建议
to maintain your good friendship with her,
你继续保持与她的友谊 ,
because much like being on a teeter-totter
这跟叫你与一个比你重 许多的
with someone heavier than yourself,
人玩跷跷板没什么区别 ,
things will just never be even / balanced / equal.
结果都是不可能的,
I hope you feel better and I wish you the best of luck.
希望我所说的对你会有 所帮助,祝你好运!
Sincerely, Ms. Know-it-all
万事通小姐
第二部 第八节 成语的挑战
Going out for the evening
晚上外出
I'm sick and tired of having to support my brother just
我受不了要给我兄弟 经济上的帮助,
because he refuses to go out and find a job.
因为他不到外面找工作 。
I'm sick and tired of having to support my brother just
我受不了要给我兄弟经 济上的帮助,
because he refuses to go out and find a job.
因为他不到外面找工作 。
I'm sick and tired of having to support my brother just
我受不了要给我兄弟经 济上的帮助,
because he refuses to go out and find a job.
因为他不到外面找工作 。
Going out for the evening
晚上外出
A: Let's go to the movies. There's a good one playing now.
去看电影吧,有部好片 子正在放映。
B: I'd like to, but I can't. I really have to study.
我想去,但是不行,我 要学习。
I wasted the whole afternoon.
我已经浪费了一个下午 。
I forgot I had to brush up on my English.
我突然才想起
Then, all of a sudden I remembered.
我忘记温习英语了。
A: Oh, come on! We'll be home early/before
  11.
噢,走吧!我们会早点 儿回家的/十一点之前 回来的。
B: No, I'd better not. I have a big exam tomorrow.
不,我不能这样。我明 天有一个重要的考试。
I was about to study when you came in. You know how it is
你进来的时候我正要学 习呢。
if you don't study, you don't pass. That goes without saying.
你也知道的,如果不准 备的话,不用说肯定过 不了。
A: Exam? Tomorrow? Oh-oh!
考试?明天?噢噢!
B: What's the matter/what's wrong?
怎么啦?/出了什么事 ?
A: I just remembered. I have a test, too!
我刚记起我明天也有考 试!
B:We can go to the movies some other time.
我们可以下次去看电影 嘛。
brush up on something:
提高,重新获得
We wish something to make it flash again in one's mind.
我们希望重新记起来某 物。
They came here to brush up on technology.
他们来这里提高了技术 。
I really need to brush up on my English.
我真的很需要提高我的 英语水平。
I'm going to give a speech tomorrow,
我打算明天发表演讲,
so I have to brush up on my notes.
所以我要重新记住我的 笔记。
Professor Wang has not given a talk on management for a long time,
王教授很久没有发表管 理方面的演讲了,
so he has to brush up on some of the new ideas.
所以他得学习一些新的 理论。
all of a sudden:
突然间
Something happening quickly without advanced warning.
事先没有预兆,突然发 生。
Lisa looks very sad, but then, all of a sudden, she began to laugh.
丽莎看起来很伤心,但 是她突然间开始笑了起 来。
All of a sudden, she bursted into laughter.
她突然间笑了起来。
They were sitting quietly when all of a sudden,
他们安静地在那里坐着 ,突然间,
there was a loud noise.
传来了一阵大声的吵闹 声。
It started out to be a sunny day, then all of a sudden,
本来是个大晴天,突然 间,
it became cloudy and began to rain.
乌云密布,雨哗啦拉下 了起来。
had better:
应该
should do something; ought to do something
应该做某事
You had better not go out today. I think we'd better discuss it more.
你今天最好不要出去。 我觉得我们应该再讨论 。
I'd better go now or I'll be late for class.
我最好现在出发,要不 然我上课要迟到了。
You'd better take your raincoat because it's supposed to rain today.
你最好带上雨衣,因为 今天可能会下雨。
about to:
正要
on the point of doing something
正在做某事
We're just about to leave.
我们刚要离开。
Casey was just about to leave when Mr. Li invited her to stay for dinner.
凯西正要离开,就在那 时李先生邀请她一起吃 晚饭。
I'm not about to waste my time doing something foolish.
我不打算把我时间浪费 在做一些愚蠢的事情上 。
Stone was about to leave when the telephone rang.
斯通正要离开时电话响 了。
goes without saying:
毫无疑问
Something is so obvious that is doesn't have to be mentioned.
很明显,无须强调。
I
 

相关内容

李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第1辑

   李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第1辑 Chapter 1: My Pledge/Oath 第一部:我的誓言 What's your story? 你的情况如何? You can't speak! You can't understand! 你不会说!你听不懂! You feel bad! You feel hopeless! 你觉得很糟!你感到绝 望! That's crazy! Cheer up! 那就太傻了!振作起来 ! It's not the end of the world. 这不是世界末日! ...

李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第1辑1A

   Chapter 1: My Pledge/Oath 第一部:我的誓言 What's your story? 你的情况如何? You can't speak! You can't understand! 你不会说!你听不懂! You feel bad! You feel hopeless! 你觉得很糟!你感到绝 望! That's crazy! Cheer up! 那就太傻了!振作起来 ! It's not the end of the world. 这不是世界末日! Speaking Engl ...

李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第2辑

   李阳疯狂英语 第2辑 第一部:疯狂精神篇 Chapter 1: Crazy Spirit My Pledge My Oath II 我的誓言II; I can't stand my poor English! I can't stand my ten years of wasted time!; I can't stand being looked down upon! I can't stand being laughed at!; I want to improve my situatio ...

李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第4辑

   ****#### 李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第 4 辑 Language is the art of blurting out! 语言就是脱口而出的艺 术! Blurting out is the best way to learn a language! 学习语言就是苦练脱口 而出的! It's not enough to just understand what you read. 看懂是骗人的! Nor is it enough to just understand what you hea ...

李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第5辑

   李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第 5 辑 Come on, let's get started. fantastic. Set your sight high. the higher, the better. expect the most wonderful things to happen not in the future, but right now. Realize there's nothing too good, allow absolutely nothing to hinder yo ...

李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第1辑

   李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第1辑 Chapter 1: My Pledge/Oath 第一部:我的誓言 What's your story? 你的情况如何? You can't speak! You can't understand! 你不会说!你听不懂! You feel bad! You feel hopeless! 你觉得很糟!你感到绝 望! That's crazy! Cheer up! 那就太傻了!振作起来 ! It's not the end of the world. 这不是世界末日! ...

李阳疯狂英语脱口而出第2辑2A

   5. amaze: 使……大为惊讶;使惊 愕 I am amazed by what you have told me. 我听到你说的话感到惊 讶。 We were amazed by your English! 我们对你的英语感到惊 讶! 6. amend: 改正,修正;修改;改 进;改好 Some people think that the US Constitution should be amended. 一些人认为美国的宪法 需要修改。 7. announce: 宣布;宣告;发表 T ...

疯狂英语脱口而出第 1??6 辑 准备篇 文本

   第一辑 疯狂背诵一百个句型; 第一节 咬牙切齿的开始 疯狂背诵一百个句型 ■疯狂句型 I am 我是 疯狂句型1. 我是 疯狂句型 I am an office worker.(我是上班族.) 【疯狂联想】 作为中国人学英语,你必须掌握的几个句子是"I'm Chinese. I'm from China. I'm learning Engilish right now.",所以"I am"是第一个我们要介绍给大家的句型.千万不要小看它,用好 了,你的口 ...

疯狂英语脱口而出-第3辑

   李阳疯狂英语 第 3 辑; 疯狂精神篇; 第一部 疯狂精神篇 My Pledge My OathIII;我的誓言 III 我的誓言 Today I believe- This unique trip will completely change my life!; 今天我相信-- 这段特殊的旅程将 彻底改变我的一生! Today I believe- That all my efforts will produce generous returns!; 今天我相信-- 我所有的付出终将 得到 ...

疯狂英语脱口而出-第1辑

   疯狂英语脱口而出-准备篇 疯狂英语脱口而出 准备篇 第一部:我的誓言 第一部:我的誓言; My Pledge/Oath 我的誓言 我的誓言; What's your story? You can't speak! You can't understand! You feel bad!; You feel hopeless! That's crazy! Cheer up!; It's not the end of the world. Speaking English is a piece o ...

热门内容

英语听写训练法及四六级听力备考要点

   改革后的全新四六级考试,听力部分的分值由原先的 20%跃升至 35%,与同样占 35%分值比重的阅读部分平分秋色,成为在新四六级试卷中分值最大的题型,其 重要性不言而喻。 而偏偏听力试题对于很多习惯了“哑巴式”英语学习的考生而 言是个“死穴”,如何在短期内提高听力能力,对于很多考生而言是当务之急。 笔者结合自身教学经验认为,很多考生备考听力的复习方针存在误 区。应付考试,很多人武断地以为,不断地做真题就行了。殊不知这是对英语听 力学习非常肤浅而浮躁的认识。如果说考试成绩是上层建筑,那么扎实的 ...

小 学 英 语 教 学 案 例333

   小 学 英 语 教 学 案 例 长江小学 一、案例背景 1、设计思路:本节课的设计主要依据教材内容及三年级学生的年龄特点, 充分体现新课程标准下倡导的 “让学生在教师的指导下, 通过感知、 体验、 实践、 参与和合作等方式,实现任务目标,感受成功”的理念,使学生在情景中感受、 体验和运用新学语言。 2、教学内容: 第六册 Unit 3 Let’s chant 3、教学目标 (1)能够听、说、认、读 12 个月份的名称,并能书写其缩写格式。 (2)能够就 12 个月份进行四季划分并会唱 Let ...

2009年12月英语4级真题及答案

   2009 年 12 月大学英语四级考试真题及答案 Part Ⅰ Writing (30 minutes) 注意:此部分试题在答题卡 1 上. Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a short essay on the topic of Creating a Green Campus. You should write at least 120 words following the outline g ...

剑桥商务英语初级试题

   剑桥商务英语试题 Text 1 Reading 1 hour PART ONE Questions 1 8 Look at the statements below and at the five reports about companies on the opposite page from an article giving advice to self-employed consultants about negotiating fees for their services. W ...

英语文化小常识

   英语文化小常识 There's no such thing as a free lunch 我们常常听说这样一句话:There's no such thing as a free lunch.(没有免费的午餐) ,你知道这句话是怎么来的吗? 十九世纪的时候,美国有些酒吧给顾客提供“免费的午餐” 。所谓午餐,其实不过是些用来和啤酒一起送出的脆饼;而 所谓免费,当然不是真的,不买酒喝就没有饼吃。所以,当时有人说:There's no such thing as a free lunch. 到了二 ...